The bittersweet mixture symbolises the acceptance of sorrow and happiness.
Here are some 10 reasons to include neem in your daily routine.
1. Clears acne : Using neem water as a skin toner regularly will help in clearing acne, scars, pigmentation and blackheads. Boil about 20 neem leaves in half a litre of water till the leaves are soft and discoloured, and the water turns green. Strain and store in a bottle. Dip a cotton-ball into it and wipe your face.
2. Lightens skin blemishes : Apply a paste of neem powder, tulsi and sandalwood powder mixed with rose water, on your face. Let it dry before you rinse it off with cold water.
3. Treats dry skin: Did you know that neem has moisturising properties? Mix neem powder with water and a few drops of grapeseed oil, and apply it to your face as a moisturiser.
4. Delays ageing of skin: With its regenerative properties, neem helps the skin fight pathogens below its surface. As a result, your skin remains supple. Reduce the effects of ageing by applying neem oil on your face or adding neem powder to your face-pack.
5. Treats dandruff: Neem has medicibal properties. Boil neem leaves with water until the water turns greenish. Use it after shampooing. If you are suffering from dandruff, you could also apply a paste of neem powder and water on your scalp and wash off after an hour, followed by shampoo and conditioner.
6. Cures dark circle problems: Neem helps in reducing pigmentation and also acts as a moisturising agent. Mix water and neem powder to make a thick paste and apply it around the eyes. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
7. Cures asthma: According to experts, neem oil is extremely beneficial when it comes to curing breathing problems or asthma. Have a few drops of neem oil every day, increasing the intake gradually. It also helps in controlling phlegm, cough and fever.
8. Heals ulcer : According to various studies, neem bark extract has been found to cure stomach and intestinal ulcers. Researchers believe that consuming the bark extract twice daily for 10 weeks, practically heals ulcers. The bark also helps cure malaria and many skin diseases.
9. Controls diabetes : The plant contains chemicals that help reduce blood sugar levels. Neem acts as insulin after being digested by the body.
10. Treats mouth and tooth problems: Traditionally, people chewed neem twigs instead of using toothbrushes. The twig’s antifungal and antibacterial properties are said to help in treating mouth and tooth problems.
Culled by: Vivieanne Danielle