The Food and Drugs Authority has cautioned the general public to stay away from purchasing a list of cosmetic products that contain mercury, hydroquinone and steroids.
According to a statement from the FDA, these substances found in cosmetic products are serious violations of the Standard Authority Act, 1973 (N.R.C.D. 173) as well as Section 111(c) 113(b) of the Public Health Act, 2012, Act 851.
“A person commits an offence if that person sells a drug, herbal medicinal product, cosmetic, medical device or household chemical substances which is adulterated.”
“A person commits an offence if that person labels, packages, sells or advertises a drug, a herbal medicinal product, cosmetic, medical device or household chemical substance in a manner that is false, misleading or deceptive or misbranded as regards its character, constitution, value, potency quality composition, merit or safety ”
The Authority says its investigations show that the presence of these substances pose an adverse health effect like kidney toxicity, fertility problem, skin infection and skin cancer to an individual
Speaking in an interview with Citi News, the Head of Cosmetics and Chemical department at the FDA, Emmanuel Nkrumah asked the public to co-operate with the Authority to get rid of such substances on the market.
“In line with our mandate we thought it right and we deem it appropriate so we put it out there for the Ghanaian public to know what is going on and what is happening. If any product containing Hydroquinone, Mercury is put on sales and distribution on the Ghanaian market, it is regarded as a criminal offence and deception of the public. We plead with Ghanaians to desist from purchasing these products,” he said.
The list of companies and products that contain the substances that are not permitted in cosmetic products are:
1. Perfect White Beauty Lotion (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
2. Day By Day Men Perfect Body Lotion (Betamethasone)
1. Ahoofs Foundation Body Cream (Mercury, Hydroquinone)
France Mod Limited
1. Fair & White So White Skin Perfector Brightening and Moisturizing Body Milk (Hydroquinone)
IVO Ghana Limited
1. Zoe Peau Sublime Beauty Lotion (BN:AF50.04000002.09:15) (Mercury, Betamethasone, Hydroquinone)
2. Zoe Peau Sublime Beauty Lotion (BN: not stated) (Mercury, Betamethasone, Hydroquinone) Body Clear Lightening Lotion (BN: not stated) (Mercury, Hydroquinone)
4. Zoe Peau Sublime Face Corrective Cream (BN: not stated) (Mercury, Clobetasol, Betamethasone)
5. Body Fashion Body Milk (BN: not stated) (Mercury, Hydroquinone)
6. HT7 Hyprogel Body Lotion (BN: not stated) (Betamethasone)
7. Beauty Clinic Whitening Lotion (BN: AF51.0500 0001) (Mercury, Hydroquinone)
Magic Dodo Ltd
1. Dodo Beauty Lightening Lotion (BN: 006114) (Mercury, Hydroquinone)
2. Marie France Skin Care (BN: 006045) (Mercury, Betamethasone, Hydroquinone
Nouvelle Parfumrie Gandour Ghana Limited
1. Tiatio Concentrated Serum (Betamethasone, Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
2. Bravia Unifying Body Cream (BN: 1006618) (Hydroquinone)
3. Bronze Tone Cocoa Butter and Honey Extracts (Hydroquinone)
4. Passionella Complexion Unifying Serum (Hydroquinone)
5. Passionella Brightening Cream (BN2241540) (Hydroquinone)
6. Fluo Pommade a Huile de Ricin (Betamethasone)
7. Bravia Lotion (Mercury, Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
8. Doctoress Creme (Clobetasol)
9. Pure Skin Vanishing Care Body Cream (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
10. Senophine Creme (Clobetasol)
11.Abana Facial Creme (Mercury, Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
12.Bronze Tone Maxi Tone Cocoa Butter & Honey Extract Lotion (Hydroquinone)
13.Maxilight Lightening & Purifying Body Lotion (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
14.G&G Body Cream (Mercury, Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
Paradise Cosmetics Limited
1. Bioskin Lightening Body Lotion (BN: 750) (Hydroquinone, Clobetasol)
2. Bioskin Lightening Body Lotion (BN: 847) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
3. Clair—Liss Genial Lightening Body Cream (BN: 39834) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
4. Clair—Liss Genial Lightening Body Cream (9816) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
5. Sivoclair Lightening Body Lotion (BN-3560) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
6. Goldskin Clarifying Body Lotion with Argan Oil (BN: 740) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
7. Goldskin Fast Action Cream with Argan Oil (BN: 607025) (Clobetasol)
8. Peau Claire Lightening Body Cream (BN: 3926) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
9. Biocarrot Lightening Body Lotion (BN: 167) (Clobetasol, Hydroquinone)
Stopover JRA Enterprise
1. RA Foundation Body Cream (Mercury, Hydroquinone)
Universal Basic Company Limited
1. Tendrina Special Hand and Body Complexion Lotion (BN: 139) (Betamethasone)
2. Tendrina Complexion Cream (BN: CT 4003) (Betamethasone)
3. Tendrina Hand and Body Complexion Lotion (BN: not legible) (Betamethasone)
4. TC 35 Clear Complexion Milk (BN: 14352) (Betamethasone)
In May 2017, an Accra High Court threw out an application by the Food and Drugs Authority [FDA], seeking the dismissal of a suit filed by the Cosmetics Association of Ghana over a ban placed on some bleaching creams.
The Cosmetics Association of Ghana filed its suit after the FDA, and the Ghana Standards Authority placed a ban on the import and sale of skin care products containing hydroquinone in 2017.
The Association also argued that its members had imported, marketed and sold skin care and beauty products containing the banned chemical without any objections all these years, and could not understand the motive behind the ban in August 2017.
But speaking before the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) hearing in Parliament in 2017, the Chief Executive Officer of the Food and Drugs Authority, Mimi Darko, said Ghana had now changed its standards.
“The bleaching agent in most bleaching creams is hydroquinone, and the Ghana standard now is that there should be zero percent hydroquinone in bleaching creams and the Food and Drugs Authority being the regulatory authority, has taken that standard, and we are now implementing it. So since January this year , we don’t register a product that has hydroquinone in the product.”